I love it when “healthy” dishes are so damn tasty that you forget you’re eating healthy! Packed with flavor (like really, really packed), this Thai Curry Veggie Soup is my favorite thing right now. It’s on the table in under 30 minutes and it’s just so comforting- perfect for this time of year.
You guys. Is everyone around you getting sick? I swear that everyone around us is! I keep hearing of another friend and friends of friends who are falling victim to the flu. Kids are absent at school and I can’t help but notice all the coughing when I’m running errands around town. I do not want to get sick.
I have all sorts of home remedies for fighting flu season. I’m diligent about washing my hands and I make my kids do the same. I drink a ton (and I mean a TON) of water, diffuse essential oils round the clock, and I eat spicy soup. Yep, you read that right- spicy soup. While I realize there is no scientific data to back the spicy soup theory and it might sound kind of weird but I swear by it. Broth-y things just make me feel better. They’re so comforting, you know? And I swear spicy stuff allows me to sweat out the bugs. So whether it sounds weird or not, I’m keeping with it!
This soup I’m sharing today isn’t isn’t spicy on it’s own. I add sliced jalapeños or a big ‘ol glob of sriracha sauce to get my heat. If I’m not fighting a cold or trying to boost my immunity, I’ll eat it as is. This soup is a flavor powerhouse. It’s loaded with veggies and super versatile. You can use whatever veg you have on hand though I love the sweet potato and cauliflower combo. I like to add a squeeze of lime and a bunch of fresh cilantro just before serving!
What is your best tip for staying healthy during flu season? Give it to me! xo, Kelley
A hearty, comforting vegan soup that is packed with flavor!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 15oz can coconut milk
- lime wedges, fresh cilantro, fresh jalapeño, hot sauce for serving- optional
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes and onion. Let cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, red pepper and cauliflower. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste and a small pinch of salt to the pot. Stir just to coat the veggies.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Bring to a gentle boil and then turn the heat down to a low simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes- just until sweet potato and cauliflower are tender.
- Remove from heat and serve with a squeeze of lime, fresh cilantro, fresh jalapeños and/or hot sauce. Enjoy!
You could easily add some leftover cooked chicken or shrimp for added protein or server over warm rice.
Recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks/photos by Kellie Hatcher