I’ve got another super quick, weeknight meal for you. It’s naturally gluten-free, made in the slow cooker, and is all about comfort, flavor and ease! Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls for the win!
Who watched football this weekend? So many great games. I was so pulling for the New Orleans Saints yesterday and they suffered a crushing (last minute) loss to the Minnesota Vikings. Not going to lie, that one hurt a little. While I married into my New York Giants allegiance, the Saints will always have my heart. I love the city and I really love me some Drew Brees. In short: glad the Eagles pulled it out, indifferent regarding the Jaguars, can’t stand the Patriots, hats off to the Vikings.
Sunday football is totally a thing in our house. Anytime I ask my husband to do something he replies that he can’t because it’s Football Sunday. Like it’s some sort of religious holiday that keeps him from doing anything that might resemble work. I’d be fine with it except football season is a bazillion months long. For the most part I let it slide- Sunday’s are routinely a lazy day for us. But every once in awhile I really do need help doing something and when replies that he can’t (sprawled on the couch no less) because he’s watching his 8th football game of the day I kind of want to scream.
I’ve just learned to accept that Sundays are off days. And I’ve actually learned to love it. Not so much the football all day part but slow pace and no work part. I actually like laying on the couch and watching football. Though I alternate between watching the game, reading my book, and surfing the internet. My couch time is often broken up by putzing around in the kitchen as I like to make an early Sunday supper. It such a nice way to end the week. Or start the new week. Both feel (and sound) good!
These Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken and Quinoa Bowls are the perfect Sunday supper as super easy to eat on the couch watching the game(s0. This meal could easily double as a late lunch or early dinner and they’re equally perfect for an easy weeknight meal. However and whenever you make them, you won’t be disappointed. Happy Monday, everyone! xo, Kelley
ps-Go [insert any team except for the Patriots]!!!!!!!
A slow cooker recipe for BBQ chicken thats turned into hearty quinoa bowls! Gluten free and healthy.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup your favorite Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup White Cheddar salad dressing (or you could use Ranch or Blue Cheese)
- Place chicken breasts in the base of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix together BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Pour evenly over chicken breasts. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken and put back into the slow cooker and stir into the BBQ mixture.
- To serve the bowls, place 1/2-1 cup of quinoa in each bowl. Add desired amount of BBQ chicken. Top with sliced avocado, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, and drizzle with a tablespoon or two of dressing. I love the White Cheddar dressing from Organic Girl but you could easily use Ranch or Blue Cheese here too!
photos by Kellie Hatcher/ recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks