How about one more cookie recipe before Christmas? My favorite childhood holiday cookie gets a healthier makeover. You’d never know though because these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Coconut Oil are just as chocolatey and decedent as ever!
It’s always a gamble when you start messing with an original. Especially when its a recipe as tried and true as my mom’s Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. As much as I love the original, I hate using canola or vegetable oil for the fat. It was the first thing to go. And since I was already messing around, why not swap the white flour with a whole grain flour and decrease the sugar? The end result is amazing and both my mom and brother couldn’t tell the difference!
That is a really good thing!
I love these few weeks before the holidays when my oven is on round the clock and batch after batch of cookies come out of my oven and cool on the counter. Forget about how amazing the house smells or that homemade cookies are just an arm length away but making certain cookies are so nostalgic and conjure up so many happy memories that cookie baking at the holidays just makes me happy. Simple as that.
A few secrets to making these cookies their best is chilling the dough for a good couple hours and even better overnight. Make sure to roll them really well in powdered sugar before baking- the more the better- and don’t over cook them! They freeze beautifully and are perfect with a cold glass of milk (my brothers favorite) or a hot cup of tea in the afternoon (my favorite)!!!
These beauties will be making their way to a handful of neighbors this week! 🙂
Happy holiday baking and thanks for reading! xo, Kelley
Chocolate crinkle cookies made with coconut oil and whole grain flour.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil and unsweetened chocolate over medium heat until melted. Transfer melted chocolate to a heat proof bowl and stir in sugar. Beat in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until well combined.
- Chill dough for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Put powdered sugar into a small bowl.
- Make heaping tablespoons of cookie dough into a smooth ball and roll into powdered sugar taking care to coat the entire cookie ball.
- Place about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until soft in the middle but set. Take care not to over bake.