Simplicity at it’s best, this Vegetable and White Bean Soup is proof that sometimes (always….) less is more.
It’s the dog days of summer and I’m soaking up every last minute of it. This time of year, when summer and fall overlap, I want to be outside every waking moment. The air is crisp, the sun is shining and it’s absolutely glorious in the mountains. The temperature is prime, the hiking conditions incomparable and it’s finely cool enough that turning on the oven and/or stove is actually welcome.
My cooking is always reflective of the season. I’m perusing the farmers market or shopping my local grocery picking out whatever produce is in season and planning our meals around that. I aways say that cooking with quality ingredients is the foundation good cooking and eating seasonal is the core of that philosophy. When you’re using produce at it’s peak you don’t really have to do much to make it taste amazing. In fact, it tastes better when you don’t do much with it.
Every Wednesday and sometimes Sunday, I hit the local farmers market in search of produce picked that morning, local meats and cheeses and fresh baked bread. The bulk of our grocery shopping is done at the farmers market and not only am I getting the best of the best, I’m saving money and supporting my community. It’s, without a doubt, my favorite time of year to cook and eat! I call that winning in the kitchen!
Last week- an especially busy and weird week around here for us- I found myself with a bunch of produce that needed to be used up asap. The weather was just a tad cooler and I was craving something warm and comforting. With no real plan, I started chopping and dicing and pretty quickly this soup was born. Admittedly, it took some restraint not to add cheese or bacon (I had both) but in the end I held out and it was definitely the right choice. The produce and fresh herbs are the star here and with a pinch of salt and pepper, this soup is perfection.
I did add a can of rinsed white beans and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar at the end but other than that, it’s all about the veggies here.
Enjoy! xo, Kelley
A seasonal soup that is gluten free and vegan.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced green (or purple) beans
- 1 1/2 cup diced red potato
- 48 oz vegetable stock
- 1 14-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced herbs
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and cook 5-8 minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic, green beans and potatoes along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally just until vegetables start to caramelize.
- Add the stock. Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until potatoes and beans are cooked and soft. Add beans, zucchini, bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar and fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread slathered in butter 🙂