These Whole Wheat and Almond Flour Chocolate Chunk Cookies just very well might be my new favorite cookie. (But take that for what its worth because I love just about any homemade cookie!) Whole wheat flour, almond flour, quality chocolate bars coarsely chopped and a sprinkle of sea salt at the end for good measure.
I did a small catering job a few weeks ago where I prepared breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner and dessert over four days for small group that was hosting their annual business meetings. Even though it was only 5 people, I was cooking all three meals so efficient prep and any thing I could make ahead was going to be key to my survival. I know I like a little something sweet in the afternoon and what’s better than a chocolate chip cookie and cup of tea when you’ve been sitting in meetings all day?
I knew going in that the group had a partiality towards healthier eating. And while I make no claims that cookies are “health food”, replacing traditional white flour with whole grains is certainly a step in the right direction. I based the recipe off one of my favorite cookies of all time, these Chocolate Chip and Hazelnut Cookies from my friend, Annalise. I made them two days before the group came into town, froze them and then pulled them out the afternoon I planned on serving them. No one new the difference, the cookies were a HUGE hit and I found myself with a new favorite cookie recipe.
The combination of whole wheat flours give the cookies and earthy, wholesome bite while the almond flour lends a nuttiness and grit making the cookies the perfect balance of chewy and crispy. I adore the mix of dark and milk chocolate and love the larger chunks that come from cutting up a bar. And lastly, because I’m a firm believer in the salty sweet-combo, a sprinkle of coarse salt on top takes these cookies over the top.
Thanks for reading, everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend and happy Monday! xo, Kelley
A whole wheat and almond meal chocolate chunk cookie!
- 1 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups almond flour (ground almond meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 oz chocolate bars, coarsely chopped (I like a combo of dark and milk)
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Drop cookies by the rounded tablespoon onto a sheet pan lined with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and immediately sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of coarse sea salt. Let cookies cool for a few minutes on the pan and then move them to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies freeze beautifully or can be store in an air tight container on the counter or in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe adapted from THIS COOKIE RECIPE from Completely Delicious.