Finally! A recipe for Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars (which also happen to be gluten free) that taste awesome and are free of any yucky ingredients. I’m looking at you, corn syrup.
I became obsessed with making homemade granola bars when my boys were little. While I love a good generic chewy chocolate chip granola bar, I am equally grossed out by their ingredients. Do you know how hard it is to find a good chewy chocolate chip granola bar that doesn’t have corn syrup? And I’m not just talking store bought. SO many recipes I found online had corn syrup too. I get that it makes for a chewy bar but it also makes for an unhappy Mountain Mama. I’ve been on the never-ending search for the perfect homemade chewy granola bar. I tried no less than 12 or so recipes over the years and while some were better than others, none of them were quite what I wanted. I needed a bar that would please my little guys (and me!), but also fuel us and be easily transportable and eatable whether we were in the car, on the slopes or- for me- playing tennis or hiking.
I first saw this recipe on David Leibovitz. Blame it on my inability to follow a recipe as written or chalk it up to the fact that I think of all recipes as mere guidelines just waiting to be tinkered with so you can make it your own. Either way, I’ve made the recipe 4 times- changing a little each time- until it was exactly what I wanted.
Friends, these bars are solid gold.
Perfectly chewy, these eat heartier than a traditional granola bar but aren’t so heavy that they’ll weigh you down before a big workout or in-between activities. They’re loaded with all the goods: peanut butter, unsweetened coconut, gluten free oats, eggs and my favorite- butter! Not to sound too picky but I really prefer mini chocolate chips in these bars. I’ve made the bars with regular chocolate chips and the minis just seem to disperse better and offer just the right amount of chocolate. And, of course, a sprinkling of sea salt to send them over the top. Sweet + salty when it comes to chocolate is magic.
The bars, once cooled, are ideal for being cut into bars and wrapped individually. I pop them all in a ziplock bag and throw them in the freezer. They’re awesome for on the run and I always have one in my tennis bag!
Happy Wednesday, everyone! xo, Kelley
A homemade (and good for you) chewy peanut butter granola bar with chocolate chips and sea salt.
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (chunky or creamy will work)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Butter a 9x9 square pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Add the brown sugar and blend to combine. Add the whole egg + egg yolk and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Stir in oats, baking soda, kosher salt, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting in half length wise and then into 12 bars.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.