Because you can never have enough chocolate chip cookie recipes, I bring you Perfectly Puffy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Cake like and perfectly dense, these chocolate chip cookies quickly became a favorite at Casa de Mountain Mama.
I’m not all that particular when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. While my husband is firmly in the camp of thin and crispy- light not he chocolate chips, please- I don’t discriminate when it comes to the iconic cookie. Unless it’s a crappy store bought, full-of-fake-ingredient chocolate chip cookie, then I’ll pass. Otherwise bring me a hot cup of milky tea and all the cookies.
I was talking to a few of the ladies I work out with yesterday and we lamented about all the folks on detoxes, cleanses and diets right now. Tis the season with the start of the new year and all. My guess is that all the diet hoopla will all die off here shortly as people either a) finish said cleanses and detoxes or b) fall off the wagon. Not trying to be cynical just calling it like I see it. Instead we laughed because all three of us are anything but on a diet. As I came home and showered after, I thought of how it’s actually a pretty awesome spot to be- not a diet- because it means I’m in a really good place mentally and physically. I eat well most of the time, exercise regularly and I gotta say- it’s pretty awesome to focus on what I do eat instead of what not to.
I’m a firm believer in all things in moderation (so old school, I know) and if you’re going to splurge a little make sure that you a) sit down, enjoy the sh$t out of it and let go of the guilt because ain’t no one got time for that. And, b) try and make it homemade. Cooking/baking at home eliminates so much of the crappy ingredients you find in store bought food. I’m telling you- have the cookie. Own it. Go for a walk or break a sweat doing something you love. And then move on and rock the rest of your day.
So now that I’ve got you all pumped and hopefully helped you justify that cookie or two, let’s talk chocolate chip cookies. So these cookies are …Perfectly Puffy. Which I know sounds kind of weird but it’s a spot on description. Sort of cake like but more chewy. I hate to use the word dense because these are so not heavy. They’re sort of dense but in really good way. They’re perfect. Perfectly Puffy.
A perfectly puffy chocolate chip recipe that has been modified to work at high altitude.
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (one stick)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2/3 cup your favorite chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet)
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a glass bowl, microwave the butter for about 40 seconds to just barely melt it. It shouldn't be hot - but it should well on it's way to liquid form; remove from microwave.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the melted butter with both sugars until creamy about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and the egg; beat on low speed until just incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand with a large wooden or similar sturdy spoon.
- Roll the dough into 16 largish balls and divide between two cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies look puffy and dry and just barely golden. Take care not to overtake the cookies as they'll continue to bake as they cool on the pan. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet before removing.
- Store cookies in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge- they're my favorite when just chilled! The cookies also freeze beautifully.