An African stew made with sweet potatoes, peanut butter, kidney beans and stewed tomatoes. I know it sounds like an odd combination but this Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Stew is out of this world!
(updated photos and recipe 2/2/2015)
A few weeks ago, I got an email from my friend, Julie, saying she had gone to book club where the hostess served the most amazing vegan stew. In fact she told me, it was so good I gave myself a stomach ache.
If I’m being honest, hearing the words “vegan stew” didn’t really do much for me and because Julie is such a health nut, I wondered if I could possibly get excited over a stew made mostly of sweet potatoes.
But after reading the recipe she attached, my curiosity was piqued. It just so happens this vegan stew includes some of my favorite ingredients and flavor profiles: peanut butter, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, coconut and cilantro.
I went to the store that afternoon to buy the ingredients because I was so interested in trying it. Start to finish, this took me less than 45 minutes. Gotta love a meal that can be on the table so quick! My husband didn’t really care for the dish as he’s not a big sweet potato guy but it wasn’t a problem because the stew got better as it sat and I happily ate it for lunch the next 4 days. This can be eaten on it’s own or served over steamed rice or couscous.
A quick note: Julie’s daughter has a peanut allergy and so as much as she wanted to make this at home, she isn’t comfortable having peanuts in the house. I suggested she try almond butter and she said it turned out great!
I adjusted the original recipe she gave me ever so slightly to make it my own~ that’s how I do things.
This sweet potato and peanut stew is so hearty and delicious, you'll forget that it's vegan! Make sure to garnish with lots of fresh cilantro!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky will work)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1- 14 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2- 2 1/2 cups good vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dry roasted peanuts, fresh cilantro and lime for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and jalapeno pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, ginger, cumin, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter, distributing evenly throughout.
- Add sweet potatoes, kidney beans, and tomatoes and stir to coat.
- Add 2 cups vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until sweet potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Stir in salt. (Add up to 1 cup of additional stock if you need it.)
- Garnish with dry roasted peanuts, chopped cilantro and lime wedges. Serve over steamed rice or couscous.