A Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon-Mushroom Vinaigrette is my take on the classic spinach salad. For me, it wouldn’t be complete without a soft boiled egg, lots of crispy bacon and a slightly sweet vinaigrette that slowly wilts the spinach when you pour it on. I’ve been making this like crazy lately as it’s the perfect meal when you need something quick.
This might be my favorite salad of all time. It involves bacon (and the grease!) and soft boiled eggs and caramelized onions and mushrooms. A slightly sweet and totally tangy dressing brings it all together. I mean, come on now, shout it with me: what’s not to like about a warm spinach salad?
The appropriate answer being nothing.
My better half and I took a date night a week or so ago to this quaint little lodge about an hours drive for a much needed date night. The lodge and menu are a throwback to the 70’s and if you ask me, they’re doing it right. The spinach salad is a staple on their menu and I love that the mushrooms and onions are cooked in their balsamic vinaigrette just before serving. The spinach barely wilts and it’s like a warm bowl of comfort. The Silver Fork Lodge adds parmesan (which I don’t need) and leaves off the egg which for me was sorely, sorely missed. The egg is the icing on the cake if you will.
When I took a peek at this months #EatSeasonal guide, I spied mushrooms, spinach and onions. It came together all to easily. The Spinach Salad ala Mountain Mama Cooks was meant to be. If you know me, you know how much I love bacon. It’s a partially unhealthy love affair but one that I can’t resist. Anything and all things bacon are near and dear to my heart. So to make a dressing where the grease has the leading role? I say game on. And bring it on. And any other sports related cliche that comes to mind.
Mash it all together, put your game face on and bring extra napkins to the table. It’s about to tasty up in here.
A warm spinach salad with bacon-mushroom vinaigrette.
- 2 eggs
- 4-6 slices thick cut bacon (depending on how much you want. Duh, go with 6)
- 8 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup dripping from bacon (aka bacon fat!!)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To soft boil eggs, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Drop eggs in carefully and boil for 8 minutes. Remove from water and run under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside while you prepare salad.
- Divide spinach into two bowls and set aside.
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a large sauté pan until desired crispiness. Don't drain the fat but remove bacon to drain on a paper towel.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and onions to pan with bacon grease and turn heat to just under medium-high. Cook 3-5 minutes until onions soften and mushrooms start to brown. Add apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard and pepper. Stir and cook 1 minute more.
- Divide bacon between the two bowls of spinach, add a soft boiled egg (halved) to each bowl and divide onion/mushroom mixture between the two bowls. Serve and enjoy!
As we have for the past few months, Becky brings together a handful of food bloggers one day each month to share a recipe that highlights this months produce. See below for some beautiful fall inspiration. And for more recipes you call follow the hashtag #eatseasonal on Instagram and Twitter as well. Happy (seasonal) eating!
Beet Braised Lentils with Thyme and Apples by Simple Bites
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Sliders with Gorgonzola & Arugula by Climbing Grier Mountain
Kale and Ricotta Stuffed Shells with Butternut Squash Sauce by Completely Delicious
Warm Spinach Salad with Mushroom-Bacon Vinaigrette by Mountain Mama Cooks
Mini Chicken Pot Pies by My Name is Yeh
Fall Frisee Salad by Cafe Johnsonia
Microwave Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal by Project Domestication
Pumpkin Butter Smoothie by Kitchen Confidante
Fried Green Tomatoes Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Foodie Crush
Carrot and Date Bran Muffins by Vintage Mixer