Easy ground beef tacos are a go to in my house. Homemade taco seasoning and browned ground beef make for one of my favorite childhood dinners.
This recipe is actually one from the archives and I shared it a few years ago before I started doing Taco Tuesday as a series. It’s one of my favorite taco recipes and one I make at least once a month. These tacos are my answer when I ask myself what should we have for dinner but nothing sounds good and I don’t have much time. These tacos always taste good and you can have a meal on the table in less than 20 minutes.
I grew up eating these tacos as my mom has been using this same recipe for 25 years. Always a favorite of my brothers and mine, we loved them as kids and we love them just as much as adults. While admittedly not the most sophisticated of Mexican food this is certainly a staple meal you’ll want to include in your recipe box.
The beauty of these tacos is in their simplicity. All you need is a pound of ground beef and some dried spices. That’s it. Simple, simple, simple. I like to top mine with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, a sprinkling of green onion and maybe some diced avocado if I have one lying around. Always topped with some hot sauce and always served in a hard shell corn tortilla.
These make great leftovers which is something coming from a gal who “doesn’t do leftovers.” My dad has been known to make a taco omelet with the leftover ground beef the next morning while I tend to eat my leftover meat slightly heated over some crunchy greens for a taco salad. How ever you top them, reheat them, and/or eat them, these are a tried and true recipe I’ve been eating and making for as long as I can remember!
This is an easy ground beef taco mixture and one I grew up on. It's mild, kid friendly and insures dinner will be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground lean beef
- 1/2 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except ground beef and water; set aside.
- In a large saute pan brown ground beef over medium heat, breaking up into small pieces. When fully cooked, about 8 minutes, add spice mixture and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, turn heat to high, and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes more.
- Serve in tortillas of your choice and whatever condiments and garnishes you fancy!
For prosperity sake, here are the original photos!