And just when you thought high altitude only messed with your baking.

Cooking hard boiled eggs at high altitude,

I’m sorry I forgot to tell you that our make up tennis match was in a different location- don’t you have ESP? I’m sorry that you had to drive an extra 20 minutes in rush hour traffic on top of the 30 minutes you already drove so you could find the courts. I’m sorry now that you’re actually here to play tennis the court feels like an igloo. If I smile and tell jokes will it make you forget my flakiness? How can I make it up to you? Oh, I know. How about we beat you in a really close tiebreak for the match. Would that make you feel better?

Last night didn’t go as planned. But I guess you already gathered as much. I hate losing. There is no way around it. But I also hate when people don’t acknowledge that they f’d up. Admitting you were wrong goes a long way. Just saying.

cooking eggs at high altitude,

I’m not perfect. No really, I’m not. I can’t even hard boil eggs. Or I couldn’t for the longest time. Sometimes they’d crack while cooking. Or if they didn’t crack, they wouldn’t peel. Unless of course, it was like in a million pieces taking 1/2 the egg with it. And sometimes I’d get that totally unappetizing ring around the yolk. Gag me. What was I doing wrong? How is possible that my husband can make hard boiled eggs and I can’t? (He isn’t exactly known for his culinary prowess.) Instead of being the almighty, I let him teach me the way. When you admit you’re wrong, good things come from it. Like eggs. Now if I could just convince the captain of the other tennis team.

perfect hard boiled eggs high altitude,

Tips for boiling eggs at high altitude:

• Use older eggs. 1-2 weeks old are ideal.
  • Let the eggs come to room temperature before you boil them. 10-15 minutes on the counter is perfect.
  • Because of the higher altitude, cook the eggs a few minutes longer and at a roaring boil.
  • Don’t cover the pot.
High Altitude Hard Boiled Eggs

• One dozen (12) organic eggs, preferably 10-14 days old

1. Set eggs on counter 10-15 minutes before you intend to cook them. Cold eggs straight from the fridge are more likely to crack when you're cooking them.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (Make sure you have enough water to cover the eggs completely and that the pot is big enough for the eggs to be in a single layer.)
  3. Using a large spoon, slowly and carefully lower the eggs down into the boiling water. Cook eggs for 15 minutes. Turn burner off and let eggs sit another 3 minutes.
  4. Drain off the hot water and add cold water to cover the eggs. I let the water cold water run a minute or two over the eggs before taking them out of the pan and letting them cool completely back in the egg carton.
  5. Store cooled eggs in the refrigerator.

23 Responses to High Altitude Hard Boiled Eggs

1. Who knew that hard-boiling eggs up in Park City could be so challenging?! Great tips, Kelley.

And yeah, people need to ‘fess up when they’ve mess up. A little apology never hurt anyone.

2. Jenny says:

Sorry you had a frustrating night. If it makes you feel any better – if I were your tennis opponent…you would totally kick my butt. :D

are these super dee duper hard boiled eggs? I like mine mostly hard boiled with the slightest of soft texture…and I can never ever achieve it. It’s always too soft boiled..or too hard – achieving that chalky yolk texture..yuck! I’ll have to give this a go :) thanks!

3. Gina says:

I had to hunt down your recipe again today because the first time I followed your recipe, I made my first successful hard boiled eggs of my life!! I LOVE hard boiled eggs and have been devastated to not been able to make them well so far. I discovered your site when trying to find yet another website/recipe to try and will never go back. Thank you for being a high altitude food blogger….no one knows our struggles! :-p Thank you SO SO SO much!!! Looking forward to my next batch, and to trying some of your other FANTASTIC recipes!!

4. Caroline says:

I was thrilled to find your post as I have lived at 8,000 ft for 5 years and still can’t get hard boiled eggs that are fully cooked, don’t stick to the egg shell, etc. I just followed your instructions and am worried that I may have goofed. I let the eggs sit on the counter for 20 minutes. As I slowly lowered the eggs into the boiling water, 4 of the 10 eggs all cracked!!! Any suggestions? Thank you so much!!

Oh no!!! Every once in a while I have an egg crack if it hits the bottom or side of the pan too hard but never 4 at once. I use a slotted spoon to gently lower them into the boiling water and only do one egg at a time. Hope that helps!

5. Dee says:

I had given up on hard boiled eggs many years ago. Shell removal was painstakingly tedious. Until, in desperation for an egg recipe cause that’s what I have available, I tried this recipe tonight. The shells came off exceedingly easily and the eggs are cooked perfectly! Insert happy dance. Now I’m off to finish making your version of the egg salad sandwich for my kids’ lunches. So, cheers! to my high-altitude-hard-boiled-egg heroes, you and your husband. Thank you for sharing!

6. Lorri says:

Ugh! This was a complete disaster for the eggs I had intended for coloring for Easter. Most of them cracked. Back to the store…and a different method!

7. Doug says:

I put the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. No shock on the egg shell. Everything else I follow to the letter including Ice Water. Elevation 6000′.

8. stephanie says:

THANK YOU for this recipe! We moved to CO from the Midwest a little over 4-years ago, and my husband always makes fun of me for pulling out my mom’s recipe to make hardboiled eggs. But I’ve never been able to get a good result with her recipe here. This is the first recipe of yours I’ve tried and it worked perfectly! I was finally able to peel an egg in only 2 pieces and it was a perfect yellow inside. Almost ate the entire batch I made! :) Thanks! :)

9. Jason Black says:

Thanks for the recipe. I have been using a slight different recipe that was about 80% successful. This recipe got me to 100%. I’ve used it a bunch of times now and every egg has been perfect every time. I’m at 7200′ and have been baking and cooking up here a long time. It takes a fair amount longer than 15 min to get my eggs to room temperature here but its worth the wait. Thanks again.

10. Darlene Cain says:

Hi, Kelley! I moved from Dallas to the Denver area a little over a year ago and made several attempts at boiled eggs before they were cooked to my liking with the yellow cooked all the way through but with no green ring. I have found that twelve minutes at a rolling boil works perfectly at my house in Parker, which sits at 6000 feet above sea level. I used the Elevation app on my Android phone to find the elevation of my house, which is slightly higher than the official elevation of Parker.

11. Darlene Cain says:

Why do you recommend leaving the pot uncovered? Is it to prevent boil-overs or cracking the eggs?

12. Sara R. says:

This is the 4th time I’ve used this hard boiled egg recipe and I tend to never cook the same recipe more than 1-2 times. This is perfect! Even my husband commented on how successful my eggs turn out now. Thanks for thinking about us high altitude cooks!

13. Jason says:

Worked like a charm…thank you so much!

14. Dixie says:

So great! These tricks always work. I used to hate doing hard boiled eggs here in Colorado. Mountain Mama’s steps work like a charm!

15. Carmen Peterson says:

I live at 6,000 ft and found to start older eggs covered with cold water. Add 1/2 tsp soda and some salt. Salt helps to keep shells whole and soda helps the peeling. Bring cold water to rapid boil/turning it down some to maintain boil but not so frantic. Set timer to 15 minutes and when timer goes off remove from heat and soak in cold water. Keep changing water until water is cold to touch. Let egg sit in cold water several min. until you feel the eggs are cold. Crack shell several times and peel under cold running water. Voila! perfectly hard boiled eggs and no green line. Works for me every time

16. Amanda says:

OMG – my eggs came out perfectly done. Thank you so much for this way to make hard boiled eggs. And the shells came off so easily. Although one of my eggs did crack – so I think I need to leave my eggs out a little longer next time before boiling them. Thank you again!