This giveaway is now closed.
The holidays are among us and for many that means a house full of family and friends. With that comes the pressures of cooking and entertaining. For the most part I don’t mind it but when I’m already busy cooking for clients, the last thing I want to worry about is what to cook for the people staying at my house.
When Harmons Grocery asked me to come up with a recipe for entertainig this holiday season my mind went immediately to breakfast. Not only is it my favorite meal of the day but it’s also the one where I seem to lack the most creativity. Pancakes and the occasional waffle are my go to when I’ve got a house full but sometimes I crave a little more, you know? Especially when I’m trying to fuel up before hitting the mountain for a day of snowboarding. Pancakes just don’t cut it.
I think this twist on a breakfast sandwich is the answer. It’s perfect for eating slowly with a second cup of coffee watching the snow fly or for wrapping in a paper towel and hitting the road to ensure you get first chair. (I’m talking to you, honey.) Not only is this bursting with flavor but it highlights some of my favorite local ingredients: Pepperlane Blackberry “Buzz” Jalapeño Preserves and Beehive Cheese Co.’s Uintah Jack. Throw in some scrambled eggs, peppered bacon and a little fresh spinach, this sandwich is the bomb. A nice balance of sweet and savory, this is a simple breakfast to throw together. It’s rustic appeal is perfect for a winter morning breakfast.
If you live locally, I’m sure you’ve already been to a Harmons Grocery but if you haven’t, it’s high time. Especially their new city creek location…… With the biggest cheese selection west of the Mississippi, it’s definitely worth a visit. The store not only carries a nice selection of artisan purveyors but they go out of their way to showcase them. Always a win in my book!
*This is a sponsored post by Harmons and I was compensated for writing the post. However, as always, all opinions and recipe development are my own.
An easy and filling breakfast recipe highlight Utah made ingredients.
- 2 whole pita rounds, cut in half
- 4 slices peppered bacon
- 6 eggs
- 2 oz grated Beehive Cheese Co. Uinta Jack cheese
- pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons Pepperlane Blackberry-Jalapeno Preserves
- 1 large handful of fresh baby spinach
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk with a fork until well combined; set aside until ready to scramble.
- Cook bacon in a medium size sauté pan over medium heat until well done and crispy. Remove from pan and let bacon drain on a paper towel. When cool enough to handle, cut or crumble into small pieces.
- Wipe almost all excess grease from the pan, leaving just enough to cook the eggs, and return to stove top. Over medium heat, scramble the eggs 2-3 minutes until just set. Add the grated cheese and a pinch of salt. Cook the eggs a minute longer so the cheese melts and the eggs are cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, toast the pitas lightly in a commercial toaster just until warmed through. Spread 1 tablespoon of the preserves inside each pita. Divide the eggs into the 4 halved pitas along with a healthy handful of spinach. Sprinkle with reserved bacon pieces and serve warm.