I’m pretty psyched to report that I graduated from physical therapy this week!! It’s been what felt like a long three months of doing minimal activity. I’m starting to slowly but surely get back into an exercise routine. And man have I missed it. Please don’t slap me, I really do love a good workout.
As much as I love the benefits of a toned body and the excuse it gives me to have another cookie or extra glass of wine, that’s not the real reason I work out. I do it because it keeps me from being a raging lunatic. Seriously. The natural endorphins that I get from breaking a sweat everyday, are key to my sanity. When mama doesn’t work her steam off through exercise well…….it can get a little heated around my house. Just ask my husband or kids. I’ve gotten up extra early 4 out of 5 days this week as I begin to get my booty back into shape. With little ones and a daily to do list that never seems to end, if I don’t fit an early morning jam in, it’s likely it won’t get done.
Having something to eat before I exercise is crucial. If I don’t, half way through I feel like I’m going to pass out. And what I eat is just as important. If I eat too much or the wrong thing, half way through I feel like I’m going to puke. Both are things I try to avoid (for obvious reasons). My pre workout snack is always one of two things. A piece of whole grain toast or a banana with a teaspoon of peanut butter spread on it. My breakfast when I come home is always more substantial. A scrambled egg, a protein smoothie or a big bowl of greek yogurt, fresh berries and a handful of granola. Moving on the recipe!
Finally, we get to talk about this granola! It is why you’re here, after all. Honestly, I could eat some variation of yogurt, fresh fruit and granola daily and never get sick of it. Homemade granola is a cinch to make and I think it tastes way better than anything you can buy in the store. This honey-pistachio version goes beautifully with some plain greek yogurt. The granola is “small batch” simply because I only had 1 1/2 cups of oats and really was craving homemade granola. So small batch it became and tasty it was!
What’s your favorite breakfast to keep you fueled through the morning?
Small Batch Honey-Pistachio Granola
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1/3 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other non flavored oil
- 3 tablespoons local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 300F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine oats, pistachio nuts and pepitas; set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, over low heat, combine grapeseed oil and honey. Stir until honey and oil are thin and just barely warm. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and kosher salt. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture and stir to combine. Spread oat mixture onto a baking sheet lined with a non-stick baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Stir granola lightly and rotate pan. Cook another 5 minutes. Stir granola lightly and cook another 5-7 minutes. Remove granola from oven and let cool on pan. Transfer granola to a glass or other airtight container. Store on counter and eat within 7 days.