About a month ago, I stumbled upon a new to me blog, High Altitude Bakes. Written by a trained pastry chef living in the mountains of Colorado, all the recipes are adjusted for high altitude. Cha-ching! I felt like I’d hit the jackpot when I found this jem of a site. Drool worthy recipes and a trained pastry chef that loves to hike and fly fish? Most definitely a girl after my own heart!

high-altitude-recipe-banana-muffins-mountain-mama-cooks

While spending a good part of an afternoon perusing through Megan’s site, I came across a recipe for Banana Crunch Muffins. The perfect solution to the nearly dead bananas on my counter that seemed to mock me every time I walked into the kitchen.

loaded-banana-muffin-recipe-adjusted-high-altitude

Loaded with oats, coconut, walnuts, peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.

Perfectly dense, these loaded banana muffins are filled with flavor but won’t leave you feeling weighed down. The original recipe, found here, calls for granola but I didn’t have any on hand. So doing what I do best, I improvised by adding quick oats, unsweetened coconut, chopped walnuts and some peanut butter and chocolate chips.

Totally delicious……says the 5 year old.

loaded-banana-muffin-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks

This recipe makes a full two dozen muffins and is too much for us to eat at one time. I threw half of them in the freezer and they froze beautifully. In fact, I’m glad to have had them in the freezer. They make an excellent breakfast on-the-go for hectic mornings and are the perfect choice to throw in your backpack if your hitting the trails for a day hike or mountain bike ride.

Speaking of hiking and mountain biking, Park City couldn’t be more beautiful right now. Not too hot, you want to spend the entire day outdoors. It’s amazing that I get anything done at all! Hope everyone is having a great week!

19 Responses to Banana Power Muffins

1. Megan says:

Oh Kelley I love this! You are so sweet and these look delicious! I feel the same way right now, it is too easy to spend the afternoon outdoors than in the kitchen.

2. Oooh – these look heavenly. Love the addition of PB chips too!!

It was sooo awesome finally meeting you, Kelley! I just love your hair.

I have bananas to use up…ok, I always do! I will have to try your muffins!

5. Oh I love it and I have all ingredients :D How lucky am I!

6. Heather says:

i am SO glad you blogged about this…i need all the help i can get with my high altitude baking in denver! and anything that calls for dead bananas…yeah. i have a lot of those :)

7. LIz Wall says:

Yummy….could be the new fav…and they actually came out just fine…in my ovens!

8. I wish I had these in my freezer too. What a great muffin.

9. Heather says:

I made these for my family and froze what we didn’t eat for a later day. They only lasted 2 days….I have to make more and hide them to make them last. DELISH!!!!

10. Amber says:

These are delicious! They just came out of the oven. I live at about 7500 feet, but there were no altitude problems with this recipe. I actually didn’t use the chocolate and peanut butter chips, so I just put in more nuts and they turned out fine. I was just wondering if I could have made them even more healthy by including grated zucchini – would that add too much moisture?

I think they should be alright. Maybe start with half a cup and see. Also squeezing the zucchini to extract some of the moisture would help as well. Shredded carrots would be great too!