lemon-sugar-cookies-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks

Another Mothers Day come and gone. Which, for the record, is not enough in my book. We should celebrate moms everyday. Or at least once a month. But one day a year to celebrate what moms do? NOT ENOUGH. So not enough.

lemon-sugar-cookies-mountain-mama-cooks

I was lucky enough to spend the entire day with my mom. In fact, I spent the entire weekend with my mom. My husband had to go to NY for work and my mom was gracious enough to move in this weekend helping with the kids, taking care of me and just being downright awesome.

lemon-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe-mountainmamacooks

In the last 4 days, she filled 16 ice packs, read 27 children’s books, washed 5 sinks of dirty dishes, played 108 games of Monkey Preschool Lunchbox, gave 5 baths, filled umpteen sippy cups, grocery shopped once, made every single meal and somehow still found time to lay in bed with me while we watched our fair share of Food Network and House Hunters. The most incredulous part? She did it all with a smile. Never a complaint. She just picked up where she saw I could not and she ran the Epstein House like a well oiled machine.

soft-lemon-sugar-cookies-with-frosting

Mom mom has taught me so much about who I am today and the kind of person I hope to become. (Yep, even at 35 there is room to grow!) Here are what I consider to be her top 10!

1. How to love unconditionally.
  2. Wash my face every night.
  3. Family comes first.
  4. Beautiful comes from the inside.
  5. Never underestimate the power of a hot cup of tea and a piece of chocolate.
  6. READING! The best escape is through a good book.
  7. Follow your heart.
  8. You can never hug your kids too much.
  9. Don’t buy a shitty vacuum.
  10. Be kind.

I will never be able to thank her enough. For this weekend. For every weekend she’s helped out in the past and for every weekend she’s going to help out in the future.

I LOVE YOU MOM. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, EVERYDAY!!!!

Other recipes you might enjoy:
Zesty Lemon Cookies from Real Mom Kitchen
Lemon Bar Cookie Cups from Barbara Bakes
Meyer Lemon Bars with a Coconut Crust from Mountain Mama Cooks
Strawberry Filled Lemon Sandwich Cookies from Evil Shenanigans

20 Responses to Lemon Sugar Cookies and 10 Things My Mom Taught Me

1. Such a funny, sweet post. Your mom sounds amazing! How great that you were able to spend this time with her. Looks like a cookie I could love.

2. Kristen says:

Hehe – I especially love #9. I learned that the hard way, too many times 🙂

These cookies look fantastic.

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day! Love these cookies!

4. Asiya says:

These cookies look wonderful! Reading about your mom reminds me of mine….they are so hard working and never complain. My mom is in her 70s and whenever we go over I’m amazed at how much work she does and without one complaint!

5. Your mum is a wise, wise woman. What a perfect post for Mother’s Day, Kelley. Those lemon sugar cookies would be gone in a flash at my house!

Happy belated mother’s day to you! And I love every single one of your top 10!! THe cookies sound awesome.

7. Dee says:

my gosh, if there is 2 things my momma loves, it is sugar cookies, and lemon! I just made her a lemon cake for her birthday actually! here: http://deelivingfree.blogspot.com/2012/05/lemon-love-affair-cake.html

I HAVE to make her these cookies 🙂 sometimes the best occasion for a special treat is no occasion at all!

8. Alessandra says:

These cookies look amazing, I love lemon cookies and the cream cheese icing probably makes them the best:) I also love the list of ten things your mother taught you, they are all very great gifts taught only by a mother, very sweet.

9. Annalise says:

These cookies look right up my alley! And aren’t Moms the best? You’re so lucky your mama lives nearby. Now that we have John I’m much more saddened that mine lives so far away.

10. What an awesome post. Your mom sounds amazing. I love how the vaccum one made it to the top 10. And these cookies, they look fabulous. Frosting added cookies are the absolute best.

I agree, frosting makes everything better! I’ve been through my fair share of awful vacuums. It’s top 10 spot is well deserved!

11. Allison says:

Kelley, how many cookies does this recipe yield?

12. Stacey says:

Hi Kelly,

If I wanted to use a sugar substitute, would these cookies still turn out the same? And do you recommend a specific kind of gluten free flour for baking that is a good replacement for white flour? I got the super neat diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes, but still want to eat lemon/citrus cookies over Christmas! Please help a pregnant mama out!

Thanks!

I really like the cup to cup flour from Bob’s Red Meal. It’s an even swap. As far as sugar substitute, I’m not sure if they’ll turn out as I’ve never really baked with a sugar substitute. Good luck and well wishes for a healthy rest of pregnancy and birth!

• Stacey says:

Thank you so much for the flour recommendation! And maybe I’ll leave the sugar in the cookie as is but (with a very heavy heart and a few tears) leave off the icing until this kiddo gets here.

And thanks for the well wishes! =) I absolutely love this website!