tex-mex-vegetarian-rice-and-beans-bowl

In college, I lived off of three things: pasta, day old bagels (I worked at a bagel shop) and rice and beans. This fare was of the el cheapo cuisine and with all that beer drinking and shenanigans, carb loading the day after a hangover was the only way I made it to school. Sorry, mom. I don’t mean to bring up a sensitive subject. I did finally graduate…….seven years later. I can now afford fresh bagels and to bail myself out of any said shenanigans. So it’s all good. Right?

10-minute-tex-mex-rice-and-beans-2

Moving on…….

Rice and beans. One of my favorite meals of all time. I love its simplicity and its humbleness. And it’s just so darn easy to put together. Hard not to love. I used to eat beans and rice in college mainly because they were both so inexpensive but today, though I love the pocket friendly ingredient, I really dig the versatility of canned beans. You can use different spices and ingredients to doctor up a can of beans and essentially come up with a new dish every time.

tex-mex-vegetarian-rice-and-beans-bowl

This tex-mex version gets some serious love from two of my favorite pantry ingredients. Low sodium pinto beans from Bushs and smokey peach salsa from Trader Joes. This vegetarian meal is bursting with fresh flavor and it’s extremely filling. You could use whatever salsa you like but I love the smokey-sweet flavor of the peach salsa and I think it adds so much flavor to the beans. Topped with some shredded cheese, diced tomato, red onion and avocado dinner is served. This combo makes for a wonderful taco filling as well. I ate the leftovers wrapped up in a corn tortilla the next day and it was just as good!

Hope you all had a lovely Easter/Passover weekend! We are headed to Southern California for the week where we’ll spend time catching up with grandma and grandpa and swimming until our fingers are shriveled.

Happy (meatless) Monday to each and everyone of you, have a great week!

12 Responses to Tex-Mex Rice and Beans

My kind of meal! We eat a similar version all of the time!

2. Asiya says:

Looks great! We lately have been having a couple of days of meatless meals. I find them much quicker to put together and cheaper too! Love this rice and beans…wish we had a Trader Joe’s in Toronto. I’ve read so many good things about them!

3. CherylK says:

This looks wonderful and I’m starting to cook more meatless meals.

I’m two hours from the nearest Trader Joe’s (in Minneapolis) but I’m going to be there this weekend so will be sure to pick up the peach salsa. I never fail to stop there when I’m in the Cities.

This will be on my menu, next week.

Holy mama I could eat 17 billion servings of THIIIIIIS.

5. Heidi @foodiecrush says:

I spent my college years in some of the same shenanigans but Wendys chicken fillet was my usual dinner. Your rice looks so light amd i love the lime add in, i’ll need a lesson in your tice makimg secrets. Healthy, easy peasy and yum.

6. I’ve been alternating days with meatless dinners, meat…no meat…meat…you get the idea!
    We are actually only eating meat 3 times a week now…for the most part:)

I’ll try this with brown rice:)

7. Kalyn says:

I love all these flavors! (In college I lived on Taco Bell.)

8. I’m all about rice and beans. If you ever go to Portland, you MUST visit the Whole Bowl. Best rice and beans I’ve tired thus far. I’m still trying to make their special sauce at home!

9. madison says:

Looks delicious, can’t wait to try it!

10. This is my kind of meal–throw some chicken on my husband’s and we’ll be good to go! :)

Is it bad that this looks good at 7:30 in the morning??