high-altitude-lemon-poppy-seed-bread-recipe-1

I’ve been craving lemon-poppy something. Anything…….

It started with these lemon poppy seed pancakes I found on Pinterest. I pinned them, (didn’t make them), and tucked the classic combination somewhere in the back of my noggin. Then my friend, Heidi, made these lemon poppy seed almond muffins. Oh, hello. But, again, I didn’t make them. Life gets in the way and thoughts of lemon and little black seeds get pushed aside.

high-altitude-recipe-poppy-seed-bread-3

Fast forward a week. I had an afternoon free and I wanted something sweet, I wanted something bready and I wanted something quick. Lemon. Poppy. Seed. Quick. Bread.

With a lemon glaze no less. Yes, it was finally happening.

lemon-drizzle-on-poppy-seed-bread-recipe

The bread was light, bursting with lemon flavor, moist (man, I hate that word), and every bit the answer to my lemon-poppy craving. I couldn’t get enough. The kids couldn’t get enough. Our friends who we visited last week for a mini ski staycation couldn’t get enough.

lemon-glaze-poppy-seed-loaf-recipe

I’ve been quite a few emails lately from readers asking about high altitude baking. Living just above 7000 feet, I find that I have much more success when I follow a few simple adjustments when baking. One of these days I will get around to writing a blog post about it. But until then, you’ll have to settle for a few of my high altitude specific recipes. So if you live in the mountains, today’s your lucky day!! This lemon poppy seed bread recipe was developed for high altitude and tested at 7000 feet.

lemon-poppy-loaf-mountain-mama-cooks

If you have any high altitude recipes or adjustments you’d like to share, please leave links or tips in the comments below! Here are a few more high altitude recipes you might enjoy. New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies and Best Ever Blueberry Muffins.

21 Responses to Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

1. Donna says:

this looks great and has just the right number of eggs for us – my daughter is allergic to eggs but has recently passed a baked egg challenge (eggs baked at 350 degrees for 15+ mins change their protein structure) we are now at a stage where she eats baked goods that are made with 2 eggs, in a month we’ll progress to 3 eggs(yay brownies!)…but i digress…I do not live in a high altitude area…do you think i’d simply need to increase the baking powder to about a full teaspoon? since i don’t live up on a mountain, i don’t have a lot of high altitude cooking experience and only know what i’ve been able to glean from the internet which is sadly, not a whole lot! thanks

Kelley, this looks so inviting! What beautiful pictures. You are so talented! I think I need to take a week off just to learn how to use my camera. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Bring on the lemon! This just screams “spring” to me. I adore anything poppy seed and am very tempted to make this bread…and hide in a closet to eat the whole thing on my own.

I love all things lemon and this bread looks divine!

5. Julie says:

Do I need to change anything if I’m not high altitude?

6. That sounds amazing! I hope you’re well! Miss you! I will see you this summer for sure!

7. This wouldn’t last long at my house either.

Holy cow. Look how it’s all snuggled in that GLAZE. Dying.

9. That glaze is very inviting!

10. April says:

I have a poppy seed bread recipe from a friend that I am trying to make into pretty muffins. They are only for my little family, but I want them to look like muffins. Unfortunately I live 2,000 ft higher than she does. I am at 7,000 ft also. I plan on checking out your blog for more recipes that I have struggled with at this elevation.

11. Laura says:

I live in Monument, CO at 7200 so baking cakes and muffins is always an adventure. This turned out fantastic! Thanks so much for the recipe. Can’t wait to try more on your site. My kids still laugh about my first cake I baked when we first moved here that pretty much exploded after I frosted it.

12. renee says:

Strangely, this did not work for me. I am at 8000 feet, but it overflowed and I had a huge pile on the oven floor, and it was not done at 40 minutes, batter still overflowing. I baked it for another 20 minutes, and it is still super gooey in the center. Perhaps I will try baking in 2 pans. Thoughts?

Ack! I just went back to look at the recipe and realized I made a typo in the recipe. I put 1 pint of buttermilk when it’s actually 1/2 pint (1 cup) of buttermilk. I’m so sorry and hope you’ll make it again and this time it turns out!!

13. Sheila says:

Could I sub solid coconut oil for the butter – same ratio?

14. Sasha says:

I just made this for my daughter’s birthday. We live in Denver and it came out perfectly. The only change I made was to substitute the zest of 2 lemons for the lemon extract and zest. Will definitely make again. Have you made it in any other kinds of pans – is it just as good?

15. Sharon says:

This was really yum, we are at 6,700 ft near Abq (super dry!). Thank you for publishing your baking recipes. They really help ๐Ÿ˜‰