blackened-cod-with-mango-salsa-recipe-1

It’s spring! It’s snowing! It’s 70 degrees! It’s 38 degrees! Welcome to spring time in Utah. When Mother Nature and her bi-polar weather patterns are at it’s finest. Last week I had one of the best powder days I’ve had all year and two days later I was in a t-shirt taking the dog for a hike. As frustrating as the weather can be this time of year, it’s always the way it is.

blackened-cod-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks

And for me it means much more than just flip-floppy weather. It means that that not only is the winter drawing to an end but so is my “busy” season. The majority of my clients are second homeowners or vacation in Park City once a year. When the snow flies, I’m working. While I will have a few odd jobs through the summer, things are most definitely winding down.

mango-salsa-ingredients-mountain-mama-cooks

With that being said, I hope you’ll forgive my absence the past two weeks. It was spent taking care of two of my favorite (and long time) clients. Two and half weeks straight of cooking for others. Throw in two young kids and a husband that was in New Orleans working, let’s just say I’ve been busy.

And tired.

The weekend was spent taking naps, catching up on snuggles and lots and lots of down time. I woke up today refreshed and believe it or not, ready to get back in the kitchen!

easy-blackened-cod-recipe-with-mango-salsa-mountain-mama-cooks

While I didn’t bust out this fish dish this morning, I did make it about a month ago just before I got really busy. It’s based loosely on a salmon dish that my husband gets every time we go to one of our favorite local restaurants, Sammy’s Bistro.

blackened-cod-mango-salsa-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks

It’s light and bursting with fresh flavor. The blackening spices get a little burst of sweetness from a pinch of brown sugar that goes perfectly with the mango salsa. This mango salsa is just plain tasty. I can’t think of anything that it wouldn’t be good one. I make it year round to accompany many dishes. To make this a complete meal, I served it on a bed of steamed jasmine rice but feel free to serve it over greens or some cooked lentils or black beans…….all great choices!

I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep saying it………..THANKS FOR READING!!!!! You’re why Im here sharing what I love best. Happy Monday to each and everyone of you!

xx
Kelley

18 Responses to Blackened Cod with Mango Salsa

1. This dish looks so fresh and yummy. Glad you had a good break after your busy season.

I’ve got to make this…and I agree with you 100% about Utah weather. I don’t know why I fool myself each year thinking it won’t be that way.

2. Yum! This look amazing and right up my alley!

This is like a wet dream for me.

4. heidi says:

I am so stoked you shared the recipe for the rub, I’m a sucker for blackened fish and crustaceans but usually end up with the store-bought variety. Glad you’re back in the game after being so busy. What a way to return! XO

I bet you are looking forward to a little downtime! This looks so good. I haven’t been making fish at home very often lately, and now I’m thinking I need to change that!

6. After having lived in Utah for almost 13 years, I’m still not used to the crazy spring weather. I’m glad things are starting to gear down for you a little. This beautiful recipe sounds like the perfect way to kick of your slow season.

Love this Kelley! One of my favorite meals, fish and fruit based salsa. Yum! I just posted the link on my FB page. My readers will love this. :)

Love, love, love the mango salsa!

9. Great meal and photos. I wonder how it would work with black cod. It would be interesting to compare notes on tourist seasons. It’s the summer we are blasted with tourists in the San Juan Islands.

10. Bobbi says:

I used the rub with talapia…it was absolutely delicious!

11. michelle says:

the mango salsa looks soooo yummy!

12. brettalan says:

wow, u got lots of good healthy recipes!

13. Lynn says:

Made this and turned them into tacos! So good, will definitely make it again. :)

14. Bekah says:

New to fish but excited to try. Would I be able to finish these on the grill instead of the oven? Maybe in a grill pan or foil packet? I hate the idea of turning on my oven during our triple digit summer.