blood-orange-chocolate-chip-muffins-mountain-mama-cooks-1

Citrus season is well under way and I don’t know about you but I can’t get enough. We’ve been eating cuties like they’re going out of style and squeezing fresh orange juice on the weekends. Last week I spied some blood oranges for the first time this season at my local grocery store. Have you have had a blood orange? They are slightly tart and the most brilliant hue of red you’ve ever seen. They make a mean martini and are absolutely perfect in this quick muffin recipe.

blood-orange-zest-mountain-mama-cooks-2

I new instantly that I would be pairing the blood orange with chocolate. I love the chocolate oranges that always show up around the holidays. Sharp citrus is such a nice balance to rich creamy chocolate. I choose to go with an extra dark chocolate chunk type chip but I’m sure any chocolate will do here. Even bad chocolate is good chocolate, right? Or at least edible.

blood-orange-dark-chocolate-chunk-muffins-mountain-mama-cooks-3

The coarse sugar-orange zest mixture on top of the muffins is kind of what makes these muffins the bomb. It’s a trick I learned from my old friend Dorie Greenspan, who I actually don’t know at all but I love her anyway and like to think she feels the same. Rubbing the zest between your fingers with the sugar releases the oils and creates the most fragrant, lovely citrus sugar.

dark-chocolate-blood-orange-muffins-mountain-mama-cooks-4

We’ve had a house full of guests and these muffins didn’t last long. When you’re skiing hard everyday you can justify a chocolate filled muffin for breakfast. Or that’s what I tell myself anyway! We’ve finally been blessed with some snow and I’ve been trying to get as much skiing in as possible. It’s a tough job balancing, cooking, snowboarding and being a wife and mom but I’m doing my best to keep at it!

blood-orange-muffin-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks-5

As always, happy baking and if you’re lucky enough to live in Utah or Colorado, happy skiing too!

14 Responses to Blood Orange-Chocolate Chip Muffins

1. Annalise says:

I had my first blood orange a few nights ago. I know, I’m a little behind the times. I was totally surprised! You can’t imagine the flavor until you’ve tried it yourself. I love everything about these muffins, wishing I had one right now!

Beautiful oranges and muffins! And I use Dorie’s trick too:)

3. Sounds like a fabulous muffin. So glad we finally got some snow for you. Sorry you’re having trouble with your site today.

4. I never would have thought to put orange – or blood orange – in a chocolate chip muffin. But it makes so much sense! I love orange and chocolate together so I am sure these are delicious.

Hope you continue to enjoy the snow!

~Emily~

5. Alissa says:

I just made these this afternoon for my husband’s birthday tomorrow…He loves blood oranges. They smell delicious and I’m looking forward to surprising him. :) I’m glad I found you on Pinterest!

Have I told you how much I love muffins? I have got to try these!!

7. Sheelagh says:

We are in love with blood oranges here at the minute. Think my 3 little smurfs would adore these. Great blog too. Sheelagh x

8. Angie Ballard says:

Would love a gluten-free version of this one!

9. Billie Jo says:

In Texas we have 1/2″ accumulation, schools are closing left and right – BUH-lizzard conditions. Looking at a bag of opened mini choc chips on my counter & just bought blood oranges yesterday! Lucky me – you are speaking my language. <3

10. […] DeliciousOven Baked Sweet Potato Fries by Taste and TellBlood Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Mountain Mama CooksGluten-free Lemon Meringue Tartlets by A Fuller LifeCreamy Broccoli Soup […]