Snickerdoodle pie.

Snickerdoodle pie.

Snickerdoodle pie.

snickerdoodle-pie-better-homes-and-gardens-recipe-1

I could say that all day– I just love the way it sounds. In fact, I love the way it tastes too.

Imagine the flavor of your favorite snickerdoodle cookie but with the texture of a really moist cake, baked in a buttery, flakey pie crust and topped with ice cream.

preparing-shell-for-snickerdoodle-pie-2

After you’ve taken moment to recover, let’s get down to business.

This pie is slap your mama good.

snickerdoodle-pie-mountain-mama-cooks-3

Where did the snickerdoodle pie come from anyway? A really good friend of mine that also helps me cater, found this recipe a few years back and thought it would be a good addition to the desserts we regularly make for clients. I’m not sure where she found it but after doing some googling I think the recipe originated from a Better Homes & Gardens magazine. We made a trial pie a few years back and have been making it ever since. I have clients from Texas in town right now that request it every year. Their youngest daughter loves it and I have to say I love making it for her, she gets so excited whenever I bring it to the house!

caramel-sauce-snickerdoodle-pie-mountain-mama-cooks-4

I usually make just one pie to take to my clients. If I make an extra one for me, I am faced with the temptation of eating the whole thing. But today I gave into the cinnamon-sugar devils and made an extra pie so I could blog about it. Bad Idea. I skipped lunch and instead ate pie. After taking some pics for the blog, I quickly wrapped the pie up and made my babysitter take it home with her. She’s a young college student with a quick metabolism that isn’t likely to turn down homemade food. A win for both of us!

whole-snickerdoodle-pie-recipe-5

A little disclaimer here– I cheated today and used a store bought pie crust. We all need a little help here and there. Feel free to make one from scratch cause it WILL be better but using a store bought one is just fine too. This pie isn’t hard to make but it is multiple steps and can seem kind of daunting the first time around.

homemade-snickerdoodle-pie-recipe-6

This pie is simple in appearance but upon further inspection it’s a multitude of layers: a flakey pastry crust, topped with a cinnamon-sugar layer, followed by the cake like snickerdoodle filling, and it’s finished off with a cinnamon infused caramel sauce that bakes into the most beautiful dark brown crust. The instructions call for covering the outside of the pie with foil for partial baking so it doesn’t get to dark. Sometimes I do this, other times I don’t. I don’t mind a “well done” crust, in fact I kind of prefer it.

snickerdoodle-pie-recipe-better-homes-and-gardens

I think this pie is best served slightly warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. I will say though it’s also pretty darn good on it’s own accompanied by a hot cup of coffee or tea. Come to think of it, this would be perfect for a holiday brunch. It’s one of those desserts that could double as a coffee cake (or coffee pie)!

Tonight marks the first night of Hanukkah. I sort of wish now that I’d at least saved a piece or two of this pie so we could have enjoyed them tonight as we light the candles and sit by the fire. I suppose I’ll just have to make another one!

26 Responses to Snickerdoodle Pie

UH. MU. GUSH. IWANT.

2. Annalise says:

I have never heard of snickerdoodle pie, and I have a feeling I won’t be forgetting it any time soon. It looks amazing!

3. Are you kidding me? This looks amazing! I am trying this asap!

We have a pie crust in the freezer. I know what we are making:)

5. Andrea says:

I have to stop reading your blog… You are making me chubby(ier). I’m headed home for the holidays and I am making this Christmas morning.

6. This looks incredible!! It resembles my Grandma’s Chess Pie. Decadent and delicious! Merry Christmas to you friend!

7. this looks so good!

RIGHT up my alley! yum!

and I saw your feature on Deborah’s blog today. Love it when she does those…so fun to learn about everyone behind the scenes.

8. This could stand in for lunch any day of the week. Wow, what fantastic flavors, Kelley! Knowing that I can use a store-bought crust to make it makes this pie even more tempting (I’m crust-challenged).

9. MarySue says:

I’ve just printed off this recipe and will be making it soon. I found your blog via Pinterest and now just have to check in on you often.

Yeah, I’d eat pie instead of lunch with this in front of me, too!!

11. Cori says:

I’m staying with my in-laws in Denver and would love to make this. Are there any high-altitude adjustments I need to make to this recipe? (I’m still trying to get the hang of the high-altitude baking)

I would decrease the baking powder by 1/4 teaspoon and the sugar by 1 tablespoon. Keep on eye on it when baking, it can get dark quickly. Enjoy it!!

12. i just made this pie! my hubby and i have a friend over that loves snickerdoodles. we were trying to figure out dessert and he said, ‘what about a snickerdoodle pie?’ i browsed the net and found your recipe. boy, are we glad we did. absolutely ridiculous. my goodness! we will be making again, and again… :)

13. That looks insanely delicious. I love snickerdoodles, but the thought of making them into a pie is genius!

14. Lorry says:

This pie is amazing!! I guess you gave your pie away to prevent the temptations from eating the whole thing but I’m not willing to part with this pie yet I’m only one person. how would you recommend I store the pie and reheat for other days (I may be a young college student but fast metabolism is not included!!)

15. i made this pie the other night as a surprise for a friend whose favorite cookie is the infamous snickerdoodle. he almost had a heart attack! well…so did we cause we ate it too. it was flaky, buttery, cinnamon-y… hold that thought. i am about to make another one! thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

16. Lizzy T says:

Made this last Friday…wow!! Spectacularly good!!

17. I’ve just made the pie and posted it on my blog. I found it in a Better Home and Gardens book. It’s delicious isn’t it!