pumpkin-kale-lasagna--mountain-mama-cooks-1

I know, I know. It sounds weird.

But guess what? This was absolutely delicious.

Or says the husband who would eat steak at every meal if he had the option.

I’m a big fan of winter squash and cook it often but I tend to stick to butternut, spaghetti or acorn squash. I don’t know why it never occurs to me to roast a pumpkin. I suppose because its so easily available in the canned section of my local grocery store. It’s a shame though because the pumpkin that I cooked a few days back is no match for what comes in the can. If you’ve never cooked pumpkin, I suggest you get on it people. It’s nothing like the canned stuff. Here is a great photo tutorial if you’re new to cooking pumpkin.

lasagna-kale-pumpkin-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks-2

This is the perfect meal for the changing seasons. The lasagna screams fall with the pumpkin and kale but I also used the last of the summer produce with some fresh roma tomatoes, some sweet red onion and garlic I picked up at the farmers market. I really wanted to highlight each ingredient so I kept the seasoning to a minimal. And instead of making a traditional marinara, I made more of a salsa type sauce by slicing the onions and keeping the skins on the roughly diced tomatoes.

fresh-tomato-kale-lasagna-photo-recipe-mountain-mama-cooks-3

I’m a fan of the easy dish. But then again, aren’t we all? So in all fairness, here’s my disclaimer. This lasagna involves more prep time than the average casserole. I will say, however, that each step is super simple and once you have all the vegetables prepped, the lasagna comes together in a snap. It’s a great meal for making ahead and it also freezes really well. (We will be having the other half of this for dinner one night next week!)

roasted-pumpkin-kale-lasagna-mountain-mama-cooks-4

Admittedly a strange combination but the ingredients just work so well together. When you combine the sweetness of the pumpkin, the earthiness of the kale, the freshness of the tomatoes, the creaminess of the ricotta and smokiness of the provolone you end up with a vegetarian casserole that is filling, tasty and comforting.

A total win if you ask me!

21 Responses to Roast Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna

1. Aggie says:

You are killing me with this. I LOVE THIS. It speaks to me, really it does. I’ve been in a cooking slump this week, I am loving this, total comfort food.

This doesn’t sound weird to me, it sounds perfect! Yum!

3. I don’t think it’s weird at all. It is going on my fall cooking list as we speak!

4. Lady Jennie says:

This looks perfect. I used to live on kale (and tahini) when in NY and you can’t get it here, but this dish just looks divine.

5. Kalyn says:

I just made a lasagna with kale too, but without pumpkin. Yours sounds like a good combination!

6. Oh My Gosh! How did I miss this post?? Love, love these ingredients!

7. Thanks so much for the blog article.Thanks Again. Keep writing.

8. Suzy says:

Wow! I haven’t even tried the leftovers yet, but I’m sure this is my favorite lasagna ever! The textures blended very nicely, and the flavor was exquisite.
    At my husbands urging, I added some sliced olives to the layers. I had store bought kale on hand. In my experience these are quite a bit smaller than farmer’s market kale. In hindsight, I think two bunches of the store bought kale would have been better. Thank you for the great recipe! I’m sure to make this again.

9. MF says:

Hi~ this sounds amazing! Fresh pumpkins are not in season now. Do you think canned would work? If so, how much?

10. MF says:

Would canned pumpkin work? Fresh are not in season. IF so, how much?

11. Miranda Timpson says:

You said something about roasting the pumpkin. Did you roast the pumpkin for this recipe, and if so, how did you roast it?

Cut the pumpkin in half, take the seeds out and place pumpkin cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil and bake in a preheated 400F degree oven for 45 minutes or until done.

12. Amy says:

I made this for dinner and it was amazing! Used canned pumpkin which worked well and cherry tomatoes. Hubs said it was one of the best meals I’ve ever made. Thanks!

13. Sara says:

I’ve now made this twice, both times to rave reviews. You really do need to let it sit after you take it out of the oven. I wish I could give more feedback, i’ve hardly gotten to eat it -I usually just get a small sample and then it’s devoured by my guests – no higher complement in my book! Thank you K for a wonderful recipe!