roasted-beet-bruschetta

Do you want to know a secret?

I hate don’t like beets.

In fact, I kind of despise them.

I swore to my food blogging friend, Dara, just a few weeks back that I would never post a beet recipe on my blog.

Um, yeah. Now I’m eating my words. Which is fine. I’d rather eat my words than eat beets.

Remember that farm dinner I catered a few weeks back? Well, the whole point of the dinner was to use fresh produce from the farm. Beets are going off this summer. So even though they aren’t my fave, I’m all about making the client happy. So in addition to an awesome white bean and scape dip, I served a platter of these beauties as guests mingled and had cocktails.

Even I have to admit they made for a beautiful platter. Everyone who ate them raved about how purty they were and then when they tasted them I got lots of mmmmmmmm, oooooooh type responses. I’m taking that as a good thing.

I roast a batch of these every week or two for my husband since we get some in our CSA basket every week.

(Even though I don’t like beets, I hate more to see beautiful produce go to waste!)

preparing-beets-to-roast

Roasting beets are painless and take little prep. I trim them leaving just about an inch on the stems, throw them in a baking dish with a cup over water or so, cover, can cook about an hour. Once cooked through, the skin peels right off. Here is a great photo tutorial on roasting and peeling beets.

Simple.
beet-bruschetta

Because beets are so sweet, I keep the vinaigrette simple with some garlic and citrus. The creamy tart goat cheese also helps to balance things. Topped with some fresh chives these are scrumdidilyumptious.

Or so I’ve been told.

14 Responses to Roasted Beet Bruschetta

1. These look amazing! Beets are my favorite… I think I will be making this with the bunch I have in my fridge tonight!

Whaaaat?! Well, so glad you’re on beet board now. Wait, are you?

pleasesayyes.

I need these in my life.

3. Erin says:

I don’t think I have ever actually had beets before. This makes me more curious to give them a try!

4. Lady Jennie says:

I like stir fried beet leaves way better than the beets themselves. I also don’t like beets, but there is one way I can eat them. I’ll probably put this recipe on my blog one of these days. Salad with lettuce, swiss (or comté), diced beets, grilled chicken and mustard dijon vinaigrette. The cheese balances the sweetness of the beets and the mustard compliments it.

That said, this recipe looks like it would be good too.

I love beets! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

6. Roasted beets + goat cheese?! On my yum!

I hated beets as a child, but I am now learning to really like them. But I’m the crazy girl who doesn’t like goat cheese. 🙂

8. Melissa A. says:

I LOVE home roasted beats, but…alas…I’m the ONLY one in my family that does. I think I MUST make this and very, very soon. I can even see making it with mascarpone. Mmmm…thanks for the recipe!

9. Julia says:

Funny, just this week I posted how I used to hate beets. And mushrooms and eggplant. Now, I love all 3. Weird how that happens. Gorgeous beet bruschetta!

10. Roasted beets are one of my all time favs…

I’ll have to give this a try. Give beets a chance and they will win you over!

11. I agree with you for the most part about beets…blah..but every so often i surprise myself by liking them. These seem to look like they would fit the bill!

12. AmyRuth says:

I grew up eating those little goobers out of a jar. Then I grew old, learned to roast fresh beets like baking potatoes in foil. Later… or like a month ago, I got my hands on some with really pretty leaves and I learned to LOVE the stir fried version of the leaves. umm mmm they are tasty too.

Thanks for sharing such a pretty app for, I’m sure, a soon to be entertaining opportunity.

13. I did a double-take as soon as I saw this was a beet recipe! Yes, I was convinced that a beet would never cross the pages of Mountain Mama Cooks, but I am so glad that’s not the case because these look like wonderful little hors d’oeuvres. You took one for the team, Kelley!