healthier-zucchini-bread

It’s no secret that I have a love affair with the quick bread.

We usually have some varation laying around our house. It makes a great breakfast dessert. What? You don’t eat dessert after breakfast? Oh, right. *cough* Me neither.

I really do love the quick bread. It’s the easiest afternoon snack and when made in muffin form, they become the ultimate car snack. You know, except for the crumbs that get all over the carseat and floor of car but that’s another story.

As much as I love zucchini bread, it’s not that good foor you. Yes, it’s loaded with shredded bits of the green vegetable but when you add a bunch of sugar and white flour it sort of counters the healthful qualtites, wouldn’t you say?

zucchini-chocolate-chip-bread

So in attempt to get a little more bang for my buck sort of speak, I made a few changes to the standard zucchini bread recipe and came up with something equally as delicious.

This quick bread is a little more dense than the typical zucchini bread as I replaced the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour and some ground almond meal. In place of the sugar, I used maple syrup granules. If you’ve never baked with them before, I encourage you to give it a try. An all natural sweetener that has all the deep flavors of maple syrup but in granulated form- perfect for baking! Lastly, I beefed up the amount of zucchini and replaced some of the oil with applesauce.

zucchini-and-chocolate-chips

As I was making the zucchini bread batter, I had to keep getting back into the baking cupboard for yet more ingredients I’d forgotten to pull out. Each time, I had to reach right over the chocolate chips. I tell you, they were mocking me. It’s like they were daring me to put some into this so called “healthy” bread. I broke down and threw a rather hefty handful in. I just couldn’t help myself.

I’m glad I did though. When the bread was done, my husband cut himself a still warm slice. He was quiet for a minute. He said that something tasted different. I held my breath. My husband isn’t big on change and although a fairly healthful eater, he likes his desserts pure: white sugar and white flour. After a minute, he said, “Oh, it’s the chocolate chips. You don’t usually put chocolate chips in zucchini bread.” Yeah, honey, that’s it…………

zucchini-bread-with-butter

I waited for the bread to cool a bit before digging in. My favorite way to eat a slice of quick bread? Slathered with butter of course.

Cause butter makes everything better.

And you can quote me on that.

And for the record, I said this was a healthier version of zucchini bread, I by no means said it was healthy.

23 Responses to Healthier Zucchini Bread

Done. And. Done.

this might be my favorite new version. SWEET BABIES.

2. Rivki Locker says:

I love the changes you made to this recipe to make it healthier, or at least less unhealthy. ๐Ÿ™‚
    And I’m so pleased that you threw in chocolate chips. Even though they make it less healthy, in my opinion, every zucchini bread needs a handful of chocolate chips.

3. This looks delicious! I’m linking up!!

4. It looks like a great version. I’ll have to look for some maple syrup granules.

5. That looks delicious.
    I like my with some carrot added.

6. Aggie says:

oh those maple sugar granules sound interesting! I love quick bread too. Its my kind of baking. ๐Ÿ™‚ This looks so so good, I would love a slice right now.

7. Sandy @ RE says:

Love. It’s hard for me to keep breads like this in the house with 3 teens. Devoured rather quickly, even when I freeze it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Miss you!

8. Today I made a double batch and brought it to a 2 yr b-day party. It was a smash hit with everyone! Thanks for helping me utilize the massive amounts of zucchini I have from the harvest. …and for making me seem like some genius baker. I took all the credit, of course! ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Sheri says:

How much regular sugar should I use if I don’t want to use the maple sweetener?

10. Leah says:

If I don’t want to use almond meal, can I replace it with more flour? Or what do you suggest as a replacement that won’t make it too dense?

11. Ladee says:

How strange to be on the “other side”! lol Your recipes are for high altitude. Are there any changes for non-high altitude areas? Also, if oat flour is used some extra moisture must be added or the bread will be drier or more dense (this from experience with my banana bread).

12. Ladee says:

How strange to be on the โ€œother sideโ€! lol Your recipes are for high altitude. Are there any changes for non-high altitude areas? Also, if oat flour is used some extra moisture must be added or the bread will be drier or more dense (this from experience with my banana bread).

13. Diane Gagner says:

I just made this bread and it was wonderful!! I didn’t add chocolate chips but blueberries. It’s disappearing fast. The maple syrup granules are expensive, 10.00 a bag at Vitamin Cottage but well worth it.