I have a notorious sweet
tooth teeth. It’s pretty safe to say that I have something sweet everyday. Whether it’s a piece of dark chocolate with the last bit of my morning coffee or a piece of leftover coffee cake to go with my afternoon tea, I eat the sweet stuff every day. While some like to call it sugar addiction, I prefer to think of it as consistency.
I’m pretty happy with just about any sweet bite. An equal opportunist if you will when it comes to sugar.
My mom though? She’d take chocolate everyday of the week. She doesn’t like to mess around.
She hasn’t been keeping a lot of sweets in her house as she’s trying to stay away from it. She comes up to my house when she needs a fix. Good thing we live 6 houses apart. So when she and my dad came up one afternoon last week for a visit she didn’t know she was about to hit the jackpot. I had just made this coffee cake and these brownies. I kept trying to push the coffee cake- it was hot from the oven and really hitting the spot for me. She would not be deterred. She spied chocolate, bee lined for brownies and the rest, folks, is history.
These brownies are perfectly fudgy, not too cake like, and studded with chocolate chips and toffee pieces. Even better after a day to set up, these are almost like eating a piece of fudge. I tell you they are not for the faint hearted. These brownies didn’t last long in my house. Between my mom’s frequent visits and my morning breakfast fix, the brownies were gone before you could spell sugar.
These ultra decadent and rich brownies are studded with toffee chips and semi sweet chocolate chips. Not for the faint hearted, these are a chocolate lovers dream!
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup toffee chips plus more for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium sauce pot, over medium heat, melt butter and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth.
- Off heat, stir in sugar and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
- Add salt and flour and mix just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and toffee pieces.
- Spread into buttered 9 x 9 baking dish and sprinkle with additional toffee chips if desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place brownies on cooling rack to cool completely.