Banana bread is one of those tried and true recipes that gets made time and time again. It seems like everyone has their own spin, a recipe that’s been handed down from their grandmother or given to them by a neighbor. It couldn’t be easier to make and if you’re anything like me you usually have a few bananas lying around. We never seem to eat the whole bunch before they start turning brown and I do not, I repeat, DO NOT eat brown bananas.
Just talking about it kind of gags me.
Good news, however, is that those brown gross looking bananas make the best bread. In fact, the darker the better.
This classic banana bread recipe is delicious made as is but it’s super versatile and can be made into muffins or handle any additions you might want to throw in! My husband doesn’t like nuts and I happen to love them- especially in banana bread. So I usually double the recipe and make one with toasted walnuts and one plain jane. The oil makes this quick bread so moist while the addition of whole wheat pastry flour makes for a slightly nutty taste. Your house will smell amazing while it’s baking and it is no easy fete waiting for the bread to cool off before cutting into it.
I like to slather mine with cold butter. Shocker, right? You know my motto: EVERYTHING is better with butter.
This is my go to banana bread and it's been adjusted for high altitude. If you need to make adjustments, increase sugar by 2 tablespoons and baking soda to 1 teaspoon. This bread is best eaten from the oven slathered in cold butter!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3-4 very ripe bananas, peeled & mashed
- 3 tablespoons whole fat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together both flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and oil until light and fluffy. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla and greek yogurt.
- Fold in dry ingredients and nuts if using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let bread cool and then dive in!!