This vegetarian soup is quick, delicious and healthy- what more could you ask for? Kale is making a regular appearance in my kitchen. Part of the cabbage family, this hearty green is loaded with antioxidant vitamins and has a super high fiber content. It’s perfect for using in soup since it doesn’t get all soggy and wilty.
Any kind of tortellini or pasta will work in this soup so use what you like. Be creative. Go for it!
I know this soup is supposed to be vegetarian but it would be awesome sprinkled with a few bacon pieces, don’t you think? No need to answer. Bacon makes everything better.
A hearty vegetarian soup loaded with kale and cheese tortellini.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 28 oz can diced tomato, reserved juice
- 3 packed cups washed, chopped kale
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pan over medium heat.
- Add the celery and onion and saute until translucent in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add stock and diced tomatoes with their juices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add kale and tortellini. Cook about 10 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you need more liquid, add a cup or two of water to desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh grated parmesan if desired.